Sunday, September 1, 2013

How am I a social entrepreneur?

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
Henry David Thoreau

This quote from Thoreau illustrates how I strive to live my life.  I always find myself looking at every side of a situation and identifying the motives or reasons.  I believe that people are genuinely good and I try to understand why they are the way they are.  It can be hard to do because emotions or beliefs get in the way.  I have learned to set these things aside and I feel that I can see more clearly.  

We are all busy.  It is so easy to get caught up in what is going on in your own life and to quickly pass unfair judgments onto people or situations.  Whenever I make a bad decision I can rationalize it by telling myself that I had a bad day.  When someone else makes a bad decision it is easy to attribute that decision their character or label them as a bad person.  If we could look though their eyes at that moment I am positive that their questionable decision would make sense.  You never know what someone has going on behind the scenes that they aren’t showing on the outside.  Everyone has a story.

I believe that I am a social entrepreneur in the way that I view every situation from all sides.  I do my best to show this thinking to people around me.  I have more of a lead by example style of leadership.  So if conflicts arise I typically play the devil’s advocate, which can be frustrating to hear.  For example, if a friend is upset with someone for ditching them on plans they get frustrated and angry.  I bring up the other side of the situation.  Maybe they had too much going on, or they were having personal troubles and didn’t want to be around people.  I find that this often brings down tension and creates peace.  I think that thinking this way can have an effect on how we treat the people around us.  The world could become a better place if we all became more sensitive to what is going on in others' lives.

The Cleveland Clinic recently made a video that portrays this idea very well.  Check it out if you have a moment!

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post! I also like to play the devils advocate. I feel like sometimes it is hard to stay in the middle of a conflict when strings are being pulled each and every way. Reading this post assures me that other people do the same thing and you do not have to pick a side. The video was very informative and it portrayed the ideas very clearly just like you did thanks for sharing. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete