Friday, September 6, 2013

My Ideal Leader


Tony Hsien has helped shape my view of leadership.  I first found out about what he does last year in a business ethics class and his model of leadership has stuck with me.  Most of you may know him as the CEO of Zappos.  I admire his leadership style because he realizes the importance and value of the people that he leads.  He wants all of his employees to be happy and creates a work culture that supports his idea. 
Tony has been extremely successful by starting businesses of his own.  In 1996 he started an advertising network called LinkExchange, which has over 400,000 members and 5 million ads rotated daily.  Microsoft bought his company for $265 million dollars.  Most people would take that money and never work another day in their lives, not Tony.
He then was approached to work for Zappos and became CEO.  He centers his business around great customer service by providing free 24/7 shipping.  He also understands that when employees are generally happy they are more productive.  He has created a work culture that supports fun and individuality; the employees have toys, decorations and noisemakers.  Along with a fun work environment, employees also receive free food, medical benefits and even a life coach available at work. 
What I admire Tony Hsien for most is that he does not see himself as better than or “over” other employees.   He does not have an executive office, but a cubicle in the middle of the office where he can be easily reached and join in on the fun.  I think it is so important for leaders to be able to understand and appreciate what their “followers” do.  I find that a relatable and approachable leader is most effective and Tony embodies those ideas.  In the corporate world it is so easy for upper management to let their position get to their heads.  I admire how Tony can stay above that and just do what makes him, and others, happy.
 
Most of my information comes from a 20/20 documentary, here is the link if you want to learn more!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp9LHFIXfI
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the post Nicole. I got say I agree with you. I myself would've taken the quarter billion and not work a day. It is interesting though how those small and rich tech companies have that kind of leadership approach. For example Google and Facebook do that. The employees have a very fun working environment. I wish you best of lucks to be that kind of leader one day.

    ReplyDelete